Friday 20 September 2013

FIM Africa MX of African Nations in SA


FIM - Federation of International Motorcycling – is the global governing/sanctioning body of motorcycle racing.

The 30th August – 1st September 2013 saw the FIM Africa MX of African Nations Championships happen in Gauteng, South Africa, where racers from all over the continent came to compete for the title of African MX Champion in their respectable classes.

Every year, this is a highly anticipated event, but this year’s event was more special. Why? Because for the first time in the history of these championships, a Ladies Class was included. The class was made up of 3 Zambians and 7 South African independent racers. So this FIM event wasn’t just a first for me but a first for all the ladies of Africa.


Personally, this was a legendary experience for me. I finished 5th overall, a result I am happy with considering the little time I’ve had to practice while being away working on my travel show. My only practice has been all the Gauteng Regional MX Championship races I’ve been a part of, of which I have maintained my 3rd position in the Championships thus far. I feel very privileged to have had the opportunity to participate in this FIM Africa event. I look forward to being at the next one in Zambia more prepared to produce better results.


In South Africa, at any given time, when one goes to a regional race, one will find 2 boys of color and one girl (me). Unfortunately, this amazing continental event brought no change for the Ladies class; I was the only black girl there. I truly believed things would be different but now realize that I was being naïve.


For reasons unknown to me, Motorsport South Africa failed to include any of the South African female racers in the official South African team, hence, all the ladies –brought together by FIM Africa’s Beaulah Schoeman and MXSA’s Diamonds & Dirt initiative- were classified as independent racers, which also meant we were not invited to attend the Prize Giving ceremony after the days racing was done. Ladies MX in SA needs all the support it can get; support from the governing body of Motorsport in South Africa would be a great start or even something as small as recognition…else, the sport will continue to suffer.

Negatives aside, the ladies raced awesome and South Africans dominated overall by winning most of the titles. We can be very proud of the talent we have in South Africa, other African countries celebrate it.


No comments:

Post a Comment